What it Feels Like to be a KFD CEO


I’m sure that all of my fellow Junior High Ateneans know what the acronym “KFD” stands for. Katipunan Fund Drive. When this event was announced to all, some were fascinated and had a positive perspective towards the idea of being able to sell products, be it food, clothing, or maybe even tickets to your VERY OWN concert (although a large majority chose to sell food), to your friends and peers. But this idea did not appeal to some of the Ateneo Junior High School students. They thought it would be too much of a task, and too heavy of a burden. I understand that well. Our piles and piles of homework were no joke at that time, and even just the thought of having to make your own product (but not in the case of those who only rented a business) and at the same time fulfill your assigned tasks, ALONG with your homework, was more than enough to make me shiver in worry and fear.


However, needless to say, I was part of the group who had mixed emotions about this event. Sure, it’s always a great thing to try new things. The only time I “sold products” to strangers was a very long time ago. Back then, I was probably only 7. I joined this event which taught children the “art” of selling, called “Kiddopreneur”. The whole experience pretty much just consisted of me playing my PSP on the sideline (PlayStation Portable, yes I miss those things) while my mom sell mini pizzas. Therefore, selling products can be considered as “entirely new” for me.

My thoughts were not filled with all positivity. Just like I said, I felt like this was something I could not handle.

Now fast forward to the election day of the KFD officers. Good friend of mine nominated me as a CEO. Our advisor wanted a show of hands of those who wanted me as their main leader, and yes, you can guess what happened. About 95% of the people in my class surrendered their hands to me. At first, I wanted to shout, “PLEASE NO, I DON’T WANT TO DO THIS”. Why? Because I was already the leader of too many projects in different subjects back then. If I remember well, I was the leader of ALL, yes, ALL of the projects of each subject. AP’s editorial cartoon, CLE’s 5Cs project, Science’s Lab Activities, you name it. How could I squeeze being a CEO in my already loaded schedule.

But I shook it off and bravely told myself: “Hey, it shouldn’t be that bad.”

Now on its second week. I realized that I would have regretted it had I not accepted the responsibility. Briant is selling really well with our graham balls which we personally ,make at home. Yes! The effort we put into it. It is incomparable to those who just rented an already popular brand of burgers, rice toppings and chickens. And they just let professional sales persons do the job for them. They just collect money. I am proud of my section. We did everything from making those graham balls late at night, to going around, selling the balls until they are all sold-out. Yes! Everyday is sold-out day. Hard work pays alright.

But before the “joy”, there was dread.

The feeling of being a very young CEO and what I have gone through is something all new to me. Really very strange. To start with, I had to fill up a form containing all info and how you would start off your KFD. This includes what product to sell, the starting capital, price, technique for selling, and so much more. I barely remember how late I slept that night carefully planning the event.

Luckily, with consistent prodding, Briant boys were cooperative enough to bring graham balls daily, and packaging materials. Buyers include students, classmates, members of the faculty and a few strangers. Daily sales were remitted to the HS cashier. Sales weren’t as profitable as compared to those selling rice toppings, etc but the effort each Briant boys has been extending is to be proud of. Everyday I go home with a smile on my face. After all, I am the CEO.


I am getting more excited in the remaining two weeks of the KFD event. Not only because I believe that Briant will continue to display teamwork and work harder to increase sales, but more so because, I realized that being a CEO is not at all easy but it can be learned. More importantly, the reward is far greater than the dread I felt at the very beginning. 

Comments