Grade School V.S. High School: School Fair


NOTE: Grade School V.S. High School is an idea that crossed my mind. If this post gets a lot of views and appreciation, I may do more and make this a series.

Our high school fair happened a few days ago. Last Friday and Saturday was very enjoyable. Everybody in school was excited for the fair for countless reasons. It could have been for the fun, the chance to get away from the school, or for some, the chance to get to meet people… of the opposite gender.


In my opinion, I very much enjoyed our high school fair. The Ateneo did well in giving students a fun time, as well as making sure that the high school fair was unique, and not exactly the same as the grade school fair. I will be counting off where the HS fair succeeded in being better than the GS fair, and also where it failed to do so.

The first thing I want to discuss is the noticeable increase in stalls. Sure, the HS fair lacked a bazaar in a cafeteria, but it definitely succeeded in making sure there was an increase in the amount of stalls. Now, fairgoers were able to buy food, clothes, and other items with more ease. For a “slightly” unfair price, of course! For “this is the Ateneo way!” (quoted from our graduation song)

Now, parlor games. I noticed that there were fewer parlor games this year, which indeed was a disappointment. And no, the quality of the games did not make up for this decrease. Therefore, GS Fair was better in this one.

And of course, what’s a fair without rides and the like? In this part, I had a hard time deciding which fair did better. They did us a favor by forbidding the caterpillar, because we aren’t 1st Graders anymore. However, I was quite sad when I knew that the flying spinning chair swing whatever you call it ride wasn’t included in the fair. They also included the people’s choice, the Octopus, so that truly satisfied us. To be honest, the Ateneo HS fair didn’t really step up their game when it came to the rides. It felt, especially to us, 7th Graders, a bit old and dull, it just wasn’t unique. However, the one thing that really made me decide to whom the title should belong to was the High School’s “Kubol ng Katatakutan,” which was renamed into something a lot more creative, something with a much deeper meaning, “Haunted House.” I braved its depths in order to discover nothing but an extremely short and dull cliche’d horror house. Last year’s kubol definitely was better. This year’s just didn’t nail it, it lacked too many elements that made a horror house a horror house. Sorry, but I didn’t exactly scream too much in this “Haunted House.”

Of course, control has to be maintained for a nice fair. This was more visible in the GS fairs than in the HS fair, in my opinion. I hate those people who were using spray cans. I’ll need to confess that I also sprayed people once or twice, but I’m not like the people who went crazy and literally covered people in strings and snow. I wonder where the authority was when we needed them. Some catchers also did not abide to the rules, and caught with no honor and righteousness. I hope this was stopped by the authority.

This was a hard decision, but overall, the win will go to the Grade School. In my opinion, they did better in making us have a great time.


Comments